- This event has passed.
Philadelphia Area| Mainline Yoga Shala | Yoga with Resistance Bands Workshops
April 6, 2019 @ 12:00 pm - 5:00 pm
PIGEON POSE REIMAGINED
- Ready to take your practice and teaching beyond the context of “traditional” yoga asana?
- Unsure of how to integrate strength and stability work into your yoga classes?
- Struggling with frequently injuring and re-injuring yourself in yoga?
- Seeking non-traditional modes of strength-building?
This complete and well-rounded hip-stability and mobility-focused class explores a combination of corrective exercises and classic asanas building toward the skills of popular hip openers like pigeon pose. After a dynamic, logical and playful sequence, you will practice a hip opening sequence statically held, as well as in an adventurous, dynamically-flowing way.
Learn ways to incorporate resistance bands and add some serious spice to some oldie-but-goodie
hip-opening and hip-strengthening poses!
In Pigeon Pose Reimagined you will:
- Work on skills like building hip flexibility and stability along with core strength.
- Increase your ankle stability and find a greater sense of balance.
- Experience how working with external resistance can lead you toward a stronger and more fully-integrated experience of your hips.
- If you frequently suffer from SI joint and hamstring attachment injuries, you may acquire useful strategies for less pain and better strength and stability in these areas!
Resistance bands are provided.
BANDED BACKBENDS AND INVERSIONS
Partake in the challenging process of practicing backbends in small, doable, progressive chunks! The component strength and skills you’ll practice in this workshop will set you on a path to a deeper connection to your shoulders and core. The practice culminates with banded backbends inversions to home in on cultivating more grace, control and ease.
In Banded Backbends and Inversions you will:
- Bolster your core strength and coordination.
- Build shoulder resilience for weight-bearing poses in asana.
- Increase your ability to gracefully coordinate all of the moving parts when exploring backbends and inversions.
- If backbends hurt your back or inversions scare you, this workshop will set you on an accessible, logical path to acquiring the strength and motor control you need for a safer and more joyful practice.
Experience how working with external resistance can lead you toward increased confidence, precision and grace in your backbending practice! More importantly, this class highlights the journey, not the destination!