New York, NY | YogaWorks Soho | Body of Knowledge™ Joint Play | Anatomy & Biomechanics Series
April 12, 2019 @ 3:45 pm - 5:45 pm
An event every week that begins at 3:45 pm on Friday, repeating until April 12, 2019
Body of Knowledge™ Anatomy Series: Joint Play
$45 || $35 1 week before
$180 for all 5 Modules (available until March 15)
March 15, 2019 – Joint Play: Feet, Ankles and Knees
March 22, 2019 – Joint Play: Hips and Sacroiliac Joints
March 29, 2019 – Joint Play: The Core Canister
April 5, 2019 – Joint Play: Shoulders and Neck
April 12, 2019 – Joint Play: Shoulders, Elbows and Wrists
About Body of Knowledge™ Joint Play
While nothing in the body is separate from anything else, when seeking to understand the whole, it’s helpful to look at the parts. Body of Knowledge™ Joint Play helps you do just this by putting each of the body’s joints into a ‘petrie dish’ to zoom in on the major structures involved and how they coordinate to allow movement.
Module 1 – Feet, Ankles and Knees
Friday, March 15 3:45pm-5:45pm
- Explore the foot, ankle and knee joints’ predominate structures and common variations to these structures amongst yoga students, plus how this affects approaching asana.
- Learn foot, ankle and knee movement capacity, normal end range of motion and the major muscles that move these joints.
- Gain awareness of the most common musculoskeletal injuries affecting the feet, ankles and knees like plantar fasciitis, ankle and knee sprains, and meniscal injuries.
- Discover the ‘why’ behind optimal position strategies and diverse loading strategies for these joints for better injury mitigation and increased joint resilience.
NOTE: this workshop immediately follows a Yoga with Resistance Bands class Find Your Footing: Standing and Balancing Poses with Resistance Bands.
Module 2 – Hips and Sacroiliac Joints
Friday, March 22 3:45pm-5:45pm
- Explore the hip and sacroiliac joints’ predominate structures.
- Learn common variations of hip structures amongst yoga students, plus how this affects approaching asana.
- Learn the movement capacity of the hip and sacroiliac joints as well as normal end range of motion and the major muscles that move these joints.
- Gain a more scientifically complete understanding of what the terms ‘flexible’ and ‘inflexible’ actually mean as well as the implications hypo and hypermobility have for pain and injury around the hip and sacroiliac joint regions.
NOTE: immediately preceding this workshop will be a 90 minute Yoga with Resistance Bands class Hip Deep: Active Hip Openers with Resistance Bands
Module 3 – The Core Canister
Friday, March 29 3:45pm-5:45pm
- Take a closer look at the major joints, soft tissues and muscles that move the torso including the spine and rib cage.
- Learn spinal movement capacity, and normal range of motion amongst the different spinal regions. Understand how to improve movement in the areas that don’t move as well and stabilize the areas that move a lot.
- Learn about muscle ‘slings’ of support that act on the core and that extend well beyond how the core is traditionally defined.
- Differentiate between the concepts of pain and injury to understand why back injuries and back pain don’t correlate closely, plus an effective movement-based paradigm for approaching back pain using the tools of yoga.
NOTE: immediately preceding this workshop will be a 90 minute Yoga with Resistance Bands class Get Coreganized!: Twists and Backbends with Resistance Bands
Module 4 – Shoulders and Neck
Friday, April 5 3:45pm-5:45pm
at YogaWorks Soho
- Take a close look at the intricate design of the shoulder joint complex and how movement is coordinated between its various bones and joints.
- Examine the cervical spine and its relationship to the rib cage and shoulder joint complex in posture, breathing and movement.
- Challenge old ideas about alleviating neck pain and learn effective strategies for improving neck strength for decreased pain and stiffness.
- Explore key muscles of movement and stability of the shoulders and neck and ways to access these muscles in the asanas for greater stability and control.
NOTE: immediately preceding this workshop will be a 90 minute Yoga with Resistance Bands class Shouldering The Burden: Inversions with Resistance Bands
Module 5 – Elbows and Wrists
Friday, April 12 3:45pm-5:45pm
- Take a close look at the intricate design of the elbows and wrists and how movement is coordinated between their various joints.
- Examine how the elbows and wrists are commonly loaded in the asanas to understand common yoga-related incidences of elbow and wrist pain.
- Learn ways to diversify loading of the elbows and wrists in and outside the yoga space for improved function and less pain.
- Explore key muscles of movement and stability of the elbows and wrists and ways to access them when bearing weight on these joints in the asanas.
NOTE: immediately preceding this workshop will be a 90 minute Yoga with Resistance Bands class Wrist Resilience: Arm Balancing with Resistance Bands